Night Night Nurse


It is fitting on my last 12 hour overnight shift as a labor and delivery nurse the World Health Orginization announced that "next month, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization, will add overnight shift work as a probable carcinogen." Fox News I knew the toll on my body was significant but now there is proof. So it is with both glee and a bit of sadness that I close this chapter of my life. I have been a L and D nurse for 5 and half years with 5 of those years being overnights. It has been a blessing to see so many babies brought into the world and to have a job that pays you to help people. Of course it has its less glamourous side. Staying up for 24-30 hours, and well lets just say birth isn't a "clean" process. Beautiful yes, but neat and tidy, no. I will miss my time to use my critical thinking and feeling like I made a difference for one small moment in one person's life. I have delivered two babies all on my own (doctor didn't make it in time) and I have "saved" a few babies lives with resuscitation. I have helped mom's and dad's wade through the agony of losing their baby and supported numerous mom's through high risk deliveries. The job is full of emotional highs and lows. I will miss caring for other families, but am thrilled to be able to give my all to my own. It is hard to imagine not working. Although staying home is the hardest job. It requires more strength, patience, devotion, love, understanding, and organization than I thought possible. I plan to return once Version 4.0 is in school full time. So this is the close of one chapter and the beginning of beautiful new one.

8 comments:

Abbie said...

I'm so excited for you! A new adventure indeed! I always thought I wanted to be a L&D nurse, well...umm...until I had a baby. That idea went straight out the window. What can I say, Vaginas stretching beyond what they are possibly capable of stretching to just really aren't something I can handle. I always thought if we could up-chuck our children when it was time for them to come out instead of pushing them out our girly-parts, I would have like 10 or 11....
I will tell you this: my L&D was a MAJORLY scary thing for me, and my nurse was a beautiful light in a dark place for me. I was so thankful for her. You have done wonderful things for scared women, thank you!! :)

MondaythroughSunday said...

The ladies that have helped me during the birth process have been so wonderful and so I appreciate their help. I commend you on your decision. :)

Mary Poppins NOT said...

I was a physical therapist, and continued to work on and off until I had 3 children. I miss it, but can not imagine trying to do my life now in addition to the job. The adjustment may be a little bumpy, but it is so worth it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll be back!

Oona said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...

Hi mates, how is everything, and what you wish for to say concerning this piece of writing,
in my view its genuinely amazing in support of me.


Here is my web page ... edu.mx

ninest123 said...

replica watches, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, air max, nike air max, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, nike free, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, prada outlet, nike roshe run, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp, burberry, louboutin, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, air jordan pas cher, chanel handbags, replica watches, louis vuitton, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike free, oakley sunglasses

ninest123 said...

burberry outlet online, michael kors, hermes, tn pas cher, north face, true religion jeans, new balance pas cher, air force, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, ralph lauren uk, sac guess, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, ray ban uk, coach outlet, timberland, michael kors outlet, nike air max, converse pas cher, hollister, burberry, lululemon, north face, ray ban pas cher, nike free run uk, michael kors outlet, hollister pas cher, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe, oakley pas cher, nike blazer, nike air max, nike air max, michael kors, michael kors, vanessa bruno, coach purses, ugg boots, hogan, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, ugg boots, mulberry, true religion outlet

ninest123 said...

coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, canada goose, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, moncler, bottes ugg, swarovski crystal, pandora charms, moncler, ugg boots uk, juicy couture outlet, replica watches, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, swarovski, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, karen millen, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, links of london, moncler, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, thomas sabo, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, moncler, supra shoes, doudoune canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose uk, hollister