My Martha Stewart Mommy Moment

Now that I am not constantly trying to catch up on my sleep and feeling half dead, I have been looking for activities to keep the kids and myself busy during the day. I love all the cute party ideas that Pottery Barn Kids has for each holiday, but who can afford to throw that kind of money away? So I set out to make a Valentine's Day table fit for the very romantic dinner we will be having with the kids and to make a fun project for them. Some lessons I learned:
1. Glue guns and little kids don't mix.
2. Glue guns are not as easy as you think. There is an art to getting the glue to stop and not spread webs of sticky glue all over. When working with felt, this makes a particularly lovely design.
3. The glue dries quickly, so apply in small amounts.
4. The glue is hot! It does burn, so don't try to rub it off while hot. (Yes, I am blonde.)
5. Tissue paper flowers are the perfect craft for ages 2-6. They all could do it and it was a fun way to incorporate counting for Karlie. Even Kaitlin's turned out better than my attempt.
6. Tissue paper flowers are an excellent use for the left over paper you have in the gift bags you save.
7. Kids love doing a project with you but it is better to have all the stuff precut. I am learning about all this crafty mom stuff. :)
8. Ten bucks as Hobby Lobby goes a long way.
9. I can not cut a straight line to save my life.

I used 1/2 yard of felt in pink and red to make the placemats and the heart napkin and utensils holders. Two rolls of heart ribbon to glue on to the ruff edges, aka cover-up my attempt at cutting a straight line. I also tied bows to decorate the hearts and glued them on. I used 2 sheets of left over tissue paper for each color flower. Here is the link for tissue paper flowers that tells you step by step how to create these beauties. I think they had the most fun with the name cards. Give them some markers and stickers after you have precut them out and viola! Pretty place cards that they are proud to display.

5 comments:

Splaneyo said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Jessica said...

That looks awesome! You will have a blast!

Abbie said...

How pretty! I am SERIOUSLY impressed!! :)

MondaythroughSunday said...

I LOVE doing stuff like this! It looks GREAT!! Beautiful!!

Devin said...

How precious! You are a good mommy.