First Fiddle With Fondant


I have been watching my sister-in-law, Heather, create beautiful works of art using fondant with her cakes for over a year. I played with the idea of trying one last year for Hailey's birthday but decided I wasn't ready to dive in after getting a few tips from the pro and seeing how involved it would be. Truth be known, I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate failure. I like to watch someone do something before I try it so that it is less likely to be a flop. Well, Heather is the only person I know that uses fondant and she lives in Michigan.

As the occasions and birthdays went by I became ever so curious about this fondant. Hobby Lobby had a 40% off all Wilton products. With Kaitlin's birthday party that same week, I thought I would give it a try. I figured she is two, so if it was a disaster she won't remember, and the party is with extended family and close friends and they can always use something to tease me about, so I went for it!

It was easier and less intimidating than I had thought it would be, fun, and like adult play-doh time. I can see how you could get hooked on fondant. It makes gorgeous cakes and as you are adding your decorations you just have this compulsion to add more. I had to keep reminding myself that sometimes less is more. I used Wilton's buttercream icing recipe. I have to tell you that at first glance it sounded disgusting to me. Half a cup of Crisco, butter and powdered sugar. How could that taste good? I was wrong and got many compliments on the icing.

Kaitlin is too young to really be "into" anything so the inspiration for her cake is her personality. When I thought about her, thoughts of flowers and bright colors came to mind. She is my delicate, little flower. She is quiet and beautiful. She smells nice most of the time! :) I think the air of spring might have played a role too.

Overall, I am pleased with my first try.

The pros:
*The lovely presentation of the cake.
*How creative you can get with decorating.
*The never ending colors that can be used.
*Nothing beats the clean finish and bright colors.

The cons:
*It is very time consuming (at least for a novice it was).
*You can't eat the fondant (well, technically it is edible, but it taste terrible) so you have to peel it off. This wrecks the presentation of the actual slices of cake.
*The fondant pulled off a lot of the icing. If you can, slice the cake out of the view of company. Then they wont see you scraping the icing off the inside of the fondant and trying to reapply it to their slice of cake! Although, I think everyone at Kaitlin's party was intrigued. Most had to try a bite of the fondant just to see what it tasted like and were amused as I flailed about trying to put the icing back on.

Here are a few pictures of what was going on while trying to make the cake. Maybe that is why it took so long? When I am an empty nester and have no distractions, I might become a cake lady.
The naked chef came to my rescue.
Kaitlin got into the markers and colored all over herself and the couch.
The three musketeers were ever so happy to help clean up the powder sugar that I spilled all over.

5 comments:

Lacey Morgan said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAKE!!! I still have not ventured to fondant...but your making me awfully curious. You definitely get an A+++++ for presentation! Way to go once again Katie!

Splaneyo said...

Katie,

Your cake looks great! I have never tried the Wilton fondant, but I have heard that it doesnt taste great. Next time, if you have the time, try making the marshmallow fondant. It doesn't have a bad taste, but it is pop your eyeballs out sweet (just tastes like marshmallows, but sweeter). You can make it ahead of time too.

Heather

Steph said...

What a beautiful cake Katie! I have seen a few of these at kids' birthday parties and am always amazed!

And in answer to your questions on my blog...we lived in Longmont only for a short time a few years ago. Read and Ciara's allergies were so bad that we had to move back. But I loved it up there! My favorite job? The travel agent. I loved the discounted travel and living vicariously through others! Read and I decided that we would ONLY go with Toyota or Nissan this time. No more American cars for us. And we both REFUSED the minivan...which we can do because we only have the 2 kiddos! :) Good luck to you in your quest for a family car. Which you need to do soon - you have only 20-something days til your little guy gets here!!!

I hate that I can't reply directly to comments on my blog. Time to move to Wordpress?

Monday through Sunday said...

Beautiful cake! I am impressed! I will have to have a go one of these days. I always thought fondant tasted yucky..but you made me rethink my position!

Devin said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I want a cake with fondant so badly for Peyton's first b-day. The bakeries charge a fortune for them, I can see why now. Great job Mom!