Hank's Big Day



Sorry I didn’t get a chance to update yesterday, I know how many of you are checking this daily to see Hank’s progress. It was a miraculous 24 hours and I was at his bedside most of the time, which left me utterly exhausted and exhilarated at the same time. When we left the hospital on Tuesday afternoon Hank was on CPAP, had the arterial line with blood pressure medication, steroids, nutrition through his IV, antibiotics, narcotics to keep him sedated, and numerous probes continuously watching his vital signs.

Before we went to bed the nurse said they were not able to wean him on anything and were going to let him just rest at the settings he was on over night. When we called first thing in the morning she said Hank was “a spirited little guy” and pulled off his CPAP and weaned off the dopamine (the blood pressure medication). The dopamine was the medication that required him to have nothing by mouth and necessitated constant monitoring of his BP through the arterial line in his umbilical artery. The umbilical line prevented us from holding him due to the risk of it pulling out and him bleeding to death.

When I arrived Wednesday morning this is what I saw!



What a difference 24 hours can make with these little guys. The Peds ICU fellow caught me and told me how great he was doing and said they were going to pull the umbilical line that afternoon and that I could then hold him AND breastfeed him! I asked her, “you mean breast-breast, like actually at the breast?” She said, “yep!” They had said he would need to start slowly with tube feeds and advance to bottle and then breast. Breastfeeding can be very tiring for stressed babies. I had my hopes set for the weekend of being able to put him to breast. I began to cry with joy! I was going to hold my baby for the first time in 5 days and get to nurse him.



I wish I had words to describe how glorious it was to hold him. For the first time, I let myself imagine bringing him home. The emotions swept over me like a tidal wave and had to fight from crying too hard as it is rather painful at my incision. He was perfect in every way. His skin so soft, his fingers are long, his toes look like Max’s, he opened one swollen eye and reminded me of Popeye, and he smelled so sweet. He latched on like a tiger and we had a great nursing session. He fell asleep and I felt the best I have in almost a week. Maternal bliss!


I reluctantly shared Hank with Max. I guess he probably should get to hold his son since he has yet to ever hold him. Watching Max hold and comfort Hank will be imprinted on my mind forever. What an amazing day for all of us!

19 comments:

Jessica said...

This is wonderful news! I am so glad to hear how he has improved and that you got to nurse sooner than expected!! Tears of joy for sure!

Monday through Sunday said...

I am crying and laughing and praising God and shouting..Yay!! I am so happy for you!!

Splaneyo said...

I am so happy for you all! I have been checking and checking to see if there have been any developments and this one was worth the wait!

Devin said...

Oh Katie,

I'm crying like a fool over here. That is the sweetest most wonderful post ever. I'm so glad Hank finally gets to be in mommy and daddy's arms, right where he belongs. God is so good.

Steph said...

Katie, that is the best news ever! I, like many others here, have been waiting patiently (ok, not so patiently!) for this update. I am so very, very, very happy for you! I know what it feels like to hold your newborn for the first time, and I cannot imagine having to wait as long as you did. I'm sure it's that much sweeter!

Lecia said...

Thank YOU, Jesus! I heard about Hank two days ago and prayed for him. I held my daughter at 4 days old for the first time and well remember the joy you're expressing. God is so good. I'll continue to keep little Hank in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katie! This is such a great improvement! What a sweet moment to get to nurse/cuddle for the first time in days. What a fighter. Continuing to pray for his recovery.

Courtney

Cris said...

Sweet Jesus... thank you

Lacey Morgan said...

I am crying over here....your post was so sweet. I am THRILLED he is doing better. And he is so very handsome!! A little something for Hank is in the mail- be on the lookout!!

Anonymous said...

He's feeling stronger every day, he's got an angel leading the way, all this trouble just a short delay, the seven doctors said what a great big day, Thank the Lord he's here to stay, feeling stronger every day. AND THE CROWD CRIED, PRAISE THE LORD, HALLELUJAH ! Now happy tears on the key board. Love, Uncle John & Aunt Cheryl

baby~amore' said...

what wonderful news - I found a link to your blog and I am all teary now - just imagining how you feel.My twins were in NICU but thankfully well just a little early.
Yay on the nursing and holding Hank.
Get better soon little Hank, grow strong and you will soon be home with your family.Praise God.I will keep you in my prayers.

MY heart goes out to the mums you mentioned who said goodbye to their precious angels.

Abbie said...

Ohhh!! Katie! This is SUCH awesome news!! He is so so cute and you look so happy! :)

Lisa said...

See!!!!! I knew he was just like you and Max! I can't wait to meet our Great Nephew! When can he come over to play?!!!

denise said...

Oh...this is so amazing! I'm so so happy for you...and can just feel your joy through your writing. 6-9 months from now you're going to be chasing a little crawler around the house...and maybe following the trail of toilet paper he's taking with him...and it's at those times you're going to remember this moment forever. Much love from me to you!

Anonymous said...

Katie...I'm so happy for ALL of you we have been praying like crazy in Cali. He is so very precious and I look forward to the day that I can meet this little fighter. How glorious is our God!!! Thanks for all the updates I check it throughout the day and I'm so happy he is doing better.Love to you all. How are the girls taking everything?

Love,Steph

Greenie Gardens said...

With tears of joy I read your post. Hurray for little Hank! Hurray for you! I'm so happy for you all. Love, Stephanie
PS He's adorable!

Steph said...

Hi Katie...I'm reading your post again, because it's so awesome! Also, I wanted to tell you that I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see newborns wrapped up in their little blankies. In 18 months when Hank is as old as Logan is today and you are chasing him around like a little wild man, you'll look back at these pics in sheer amazement! I hope you are having a great day, and I hope that little Hank continues to make such amazing improvements! :)

Monday through Sunday said...

I shared your story with all my children and family ~ we have been so rejoicing for you over here!! My heart is so full and happy! I want to hug you all!

Lisa said...

Just checking in! Apparently, I am impatient!! I am awaiting today's update. How's our "Little Guy" doing?