Hankee Doodle Dandy

The results of the nursing marathon are in....
Birth weight- 6 lbs 2 oz
Discharge from the hospital weight- 6 lbs 13 oz
First Dr.'s office weight check- 6 lbs 12 oz
A week later- 6 lbs 10 oz
4 days later- 6 lbs 12 oz
4 days later- 7 lbs 2 oz!!!

Initially when the pediatrician thought Hank was not gaining weight, she wanted me to start supplementing with a high calorie formula. Those of you who know me, know that I am a staunch breast feeding supporter and have taken numerous classes on breast feeding education. That combined with momma's instincts made me give just breast feeding a try for a little longer. Hank needed to gain 1/2 oz a day or the pediatrician would want him to be bottle fed every feed so we could calculate his calories in. That was enough motivation for me to become a feeding machine. Hank gained a whopping 1.5 ounces/day! Now if only that correlated to me losing nearly 1/2 a pound a week. We are off and running, with just a monkey, I mean oxygen tank on our back. Hopefully at his appointment next week the doctor will be ready to start weaning him off that.

6 comments:

Monday through Sunday said...

Go Hank!! Yay!! Great job!!

Abbie said...

Ohh hooray! GREAT job momma!! I wish that breastfeeding was something that works with me, but I can't. It's ok, I'm pretty sure Liv isn't lacking in the nutrition area! ;) hehe

Anonymous said...

So great!! Glad you were able to run this marathon with such success!! An important one to be sure. Who cares about a day late! You were busy!

Anonymous said...

I knew he'd do it! Next up getting that monkey off your back!

Court

Lacey Morgan said...

Wahooey!!! I am so glad he is gaining well! He'll be a chunky monk in no time!

Kay said...

I am Heather's stepmother and 45 years ago I had a "baby Hank", your story sounds the same as I experienced only in those days the baby didn't come home with the equipment but stayed in the hospital for one month. Today, that baby is the author of a physical fitness book and sports six pack abs. Hank will do well and your love and sacrifices will pay back 10 fold. Keep up your success and you will get sleep as a grandmother. K.