Blueberry Season

One of my favorite things about summer is the abundance of inexpensive fresh produce, especially blueberries. Our grocery store has amazing prices on blueberries every summer and I take full advantage of it. This year I made 3 blueberry deserts. I had never made a blueberry buckle and saw one on Lacey's blog and had to try it. It was delicious. My only complaint is that I ate 3/4 of it! It was so wonderful I ate it with my coffee in the morning, at lunch as a little treat, and for desert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I guess I won't be losing that baby weight anytime soon.

The next dessert we made was a Blueberry Pie. I must say it was quite delicious. Something about using fresh fruit makes a pie so much better. I was better about sharing this one and even let Jeanette have a piece.


But the best summer 2008 blueberry desert was this Blueberry Cheesecake. Just saying those words makes my mouth water. This is a pretty time intensive cheesecake, but well worth the effort and calories.

CRUST
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5 cookie sheets)
2/3 cup vanilla wafer crumbs (about 20 cookies)
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp melted butter

To prepare the crust combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl and drizzle with butter. Toss with a fork until moist. Firmly press mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.

FILLING

2 ½ cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 (8oz) blocks fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 (8oz) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup of sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
5 large eggs

To prepare filling, combine blueberries and 1 Tbsp cornstarch in a food processor and process until smooth.
Place puree in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Cook for 6 minutes or until slightly thick.
Cool slightly and reserve ½ cup of the puree for sauce. Set remaining 1 cup of puree aside.

Place cheese in a mixing bowl and beat on high speed for 3 minutes until smooth.
Combine 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp cornstarch, and salt in a bowl.
Add mixture to cheese mixture and beat well.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Pour batter over prepared crust.
Pour 1 cup of blueberry puree over batter and gently swirl with a knife.
Bake at 325 degrees for 70 minutes or until cheesecake center barely moves when pan it touched.
Place on a wire rack to cool but leave oven on.

TOPPING

1 ½ cups fat-free sour cream
2 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract

To prepare topping, combine ingredients in a small bowl. Spread sour cream mixture evenly over cheesecake.
Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
Remove cheesecake from oven and run a knife along outside edge.
Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 8 hours.


SAUCE
Remaining ½ cup puree
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries

To prepare sauce combine reserved puree, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until sauce is thick, stirring constantly. Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries.
Remove from heat and cool.

Remove side of springform pan and slice cheesecake. Spoon sauce over each piece and enjoy a delicious dessert.

Looks like raspberries are next!

4 comments:

Monday through Sunday said...

I love blueberries as well! Great desserts..they all look amazing. We like to make pancakes...put on some whipped cream..and pour on the blueberries..YUMMY!

Abbie said...

OH YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try the cheesecake, but too bad I'm the only one who likes cheesecake...I'll eat the whole thing!
Court

Steph said...

So yummy! I used to make a blueberry buckle that was awesome...years ago. I wonder if I still have the recipe?!