Here Comes the Bride

I made a Barbie bride cake for my sister's bachelorette party this weekend. Her colors are brown and ivory. The bottom of the cake was chocolate with chocolate icing and the top was vanilla with vanilla icing. This was such a fun cake to make! I couldn't have done it without Max.
I baked a 10 inch round for the bottom and frosted and it and then covered it in fondant. The dress was cooked in a large batter bowl (Pampered Chef) and then I used the remaining batter to cook a dozen cupcakes. To get the waist small enough I put one of the cupcakes on the top upside down. I then iced the dress and moved it on top of the brown covered bottom cake.
Getting the dress smooth was pretty tricky but Max was able to help me get it just right. We then covered the seam in the back with the train of flowers.
My sister has a tattoo of the Chinese symbol for family on her upper back, so Max added that too.
Kerrie was very pleased with her cake and didn't want to cut into her. It tasted so moist. Something about the way the cake cooked in the batter bowl made the cake really dense and moist. It was really fun getting to play Barbie while designing a cake. I can see the girls will be getting princess cakes at their future birthdays.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

Whoa! Katie, that is really amamzing! It needed to be entered into some contest. I loved the added touch of the tattoo and the train was beautiful! Does it resemble her dress? Great job!

Karrie and Chrysti said...

This is THE BEST cake I have EVER seen! You are amazing! (and she tasted great too!)

Monday through Sunday said...

Wow..Katie! That is awesome!! I am so impressed!

Lacey said...

That is beautiful. I made Ellie a barbie "princess" cake last year with the wilton dress pan. Yours kills mine. You are so talented lady. Your description of the chocolate cake made me want some...now.....

Abbie said...

Genius. You are just a freaking genius and thats all there is to say about it!

Devin said...

You are so good at that! GORGEOUS!!

Steph said...

Are your services up for sale? Seriously! Logan's birthday is coming up in October and there is no way in heck I would E.V.E.R. be able to pull that off!!! I am totally being serious...besides, you need practice with boy themes, right?!

MandM said...

WOW! That's incredible-you should consider doing this professionally. Congratulations Kerrie! Love, Mel