Homemade Treasure Box

The big, modern, loving, gentle, and psychologist approved parenting approach to discipline these days is to reward your children when they do well instead of punish them when they are bad. Like giving the puppy a dog treat for peeing in the grass instead of rubbing his nose in the pee when he goes in the house. As a result schools and parents across the nation have spent millions creating and maintaining "treasure boxes." We even have to contribute to the classroom treasure box because what teacher could afford enough dollar bin toys to keep the class going?

At home we have used one for when they earned enough stars for good behavior they can get in the treasure box. We decorated it, we put candy, stickers, and little toys in it and attempted to reward their good behavior. As with many things I forgot to keep the treasure box full which always led to a fiasco when they felt due their treasure box treat. After a few of these incidents I swore off treasure boxes and decided my verbal praise was going to have to be good enough!

However, today I discovered the perfect treasure box. I was searching for a hair clip and stuck my hand down in the couch. I felt around and pulled out a baby bottle, a crayon, an old milk dud, and a quarter before landing on my clip. This peeked my interest, so I pulled out the cushions to discover a whole loot of forgotten toys, money, puzzle pieces, hair ties, markers, pens, stickers, and candy! Score! From now on I will be sending the kids to the couch for treasure box! It will never be empty, it is free, helps clean the house, is earth friendly as it it recycles old toys, and you just never know what you are going to get!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

LOL...your a riot. I am sure my couch would be a good treasure box as well. :0)

Courtney said...

That's funny! Today I actually pulled my couch out of its familiar place and vacuumed a lot of dust bunnies! Do they count as a treasure treat? LOL! I did find a book and little people man. Score!

Steph said...

I love the way you think!

Monday through Sunday said...

LOL ~ I love it! Keeping it real!