I Have Sunk to a New Low

I am feeling a bit like a dog that has been beat down, her spirit broken. Never before have I succumbed to such desperation. Our night started out like any other getting the kids in their P.J.s, brushing teeth, reading stories, tucking them in, drinks of water, one more kiss, one more potty trip, search the house a few times for the stuffy they must have to sleep, tucked in again, and then nursed Hank to sleep and finally started getting myself ready for bed.

Max and I glanced at the clock and gave each other the congratulatory nod for getting them and ourselves all in bed before the clock struck 9 p.m. ( I know, are we lame or what?). Just as I started to drift off to sleep, Hank began to stir. It was oh so painful to wake up at that point. My body felt like led. I got up and brought him to bed with me. At least I would get a few hours of sleep with him cuddled up next to me, even if my neck has a crink in it for week and half my body falls asleep as it is contorted into an unnatural shape as I tried to keep from falling off my 12 inches of the bed. Some sleep is better than no sleep. Around 12 p.m. Hailey came in crying from a bad dream. I nudged Max to wake up and console her since if I moved an inch Hank would wake up. Again at 2 a.m. Hailey was crying, only this time she was hysterical and had that zombie look in her eyes that told me she was having a night terror and not fully awake yet. I spent 15 minutes getting her settled and back to sleep. I then nursed Hank and laid down to try and get a little more sleep.

At 4 a.m. Hank started to fuss so I sat up with him in bed to nurse him again. As I was holding him half awake, I felt a very warm feeling on my stomach. I knew all to well but wanted to pretend I didn't just a little longer. I felt the bed where he had been sleeping and it was cool and wet. I stuck my hand between us as he was nursing and felt wet. Hank was in a milk induced coma and I had one precious hour left before Max's alarm clock would go off. I was left with two options: 1. Wake Max and get everyone out of bed, strip the sheets, change the bed, strip Hank down and have him start screaming and possibly wake up the other kids while I put him in a clean outfit, and then try to get him and myself back to sleep or 2. Put down a receiving blanket over the pee spot and wrap Hank with another one and go back to sleep for an hour. With down cast eyes I confess that I chose to sleep in pee. I have sunk to a new low in the land of motherhood. Pee-full dreams...

6 comments:

Monday through Sunday said...

It is NOT a new low. :(

MandM said...

sounds like something I would have done :)...Mel

Abbie said...

HAHAHHAHA Oh Katie, dear, you are my HERO!! :)

P.s. had an appointment today and I'm not dilated yet, but she could feel the head. Thats good, right?? :)

Courtney said...

OK, I think I did that at LEAST once and that's only my first! LOL!

Karrie and Chrysti said...

Sleep before pee....ALWAYS! : )

Lacey said...

I would have done the SAME thing. :0)