Republican Patriot Birthday Cake

My baby sister was married on Saturday, which was also my Dad's birthday. My sister Kerrie asked me to make a cake to surprise him with at her reception. Max and I thought for a long time about what symbolized Snork (my dad's nickname). Max came up with the idea to make an elephant coming out of the flag. For any of you that know Snork, you know he is a stead fast Republican. I think he rivals Rush Limbaugh somedays. He is also a man who loves his country very much. The only thing I think he loves more, is his family. So I came up with the idea to put the stars of his life around the flag. The final touch was Snork's favorite beverage, a little Johnny Walker Red.

I have to give Max the credit on this one. He completely designed the elephant. I will do another post later showing the construction of the cake. Let me just say power tools and many hours were involved! We had fun doing this cake together and I learned that red fondant is a pain in the neck to work with.





6 comments:

Steph said...

Katie, you really need to open a business! Your cakes are the BEST!!!

Monday through Sunday said...

Amazing!

Splaneyo said...

You have really mastered fondant - the cake looks fantastic!

Abbie said...

Martha, I mean Katie!! ;) You never fail to impress me with you baking/decorating skills!! Can you please send me a three foot vanilla cake with raspberry jelly in the middle to the hospital next week? k thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lucky snork! That is quite a cake! I can't wait to see the enginnering photos. Love the final touches! I bet he could barely keep from crying. ..
Love

Courtney said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of work! I rely on Albertsons for "my" creations! LOL!