Marbled Cream Cheese Pumpkin Muffins

Happy Halloween!
Here is a treat for you. These are incredible. Last year Melanie posted this recipe and I have been wanting to try them ever since. Well, the seasons came and went and I forgot until fall rolled around and I started aching for something, anything with pumpkin in it. I asked if her if she could find the recipe for me again, but I had this fixation with pumpkin and couldn't wait. I googled 'pumpkin cream cheese muffins' and found a recipe. It was horrific. The muffins were dry and there was not nearly enough cream cheese. It called for 1/2 cup of pumpkin which left well over half a can of pumpkin. Melanie posted her recipe but hers called for a full can. What to do?

I searched and searched until I found a recipe that used exactly what I had left. I couldn't possibly waste any of my precious pumpkin! They were delicious. So delicious I had to make another batch. But I needed to make 18 muffins instead of a dozen so I combined Melanie's recipe and this one. I think I am going to be 400 pounds by Christmas. If I didn't know better I would think this pumpkin craving was pregnancy related. I just can't stop eating these things. Apparently Starbucks carries a similar muffin because one of the ladies at my Bible study said, "Oh, these are just like Starbucks!" So be warned, these babies are frightfully good!
For 18 muffins using 1 can of pumpkin
Filling:
1 and 1/2 boxes (12 oz) cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat to pretend it wasn't as bad for me)
a heaping 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg

Muffins:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
3/4t teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg, allspice and cloves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 can pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 teaspoon vanilla



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese and sugar, then stir in egg and vanilla. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, both sugars, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and spices.

In another mixing bowl, blend oil, egg, pumpkin and vanilla. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until combined.

Fill muffin cups about 1/3 of the way full with pumpkin mixture. Spoon cream cheese mixture over pumpkin, dividing evenly between all 18 cups. Spoon a drop of pumpkin batter on top of cream cheese. Pumpkin batter will be thick and will not cover entire top, so the appearance will be similar to a bulls eye.

Bake for 23-25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.


All the ghouls!





3 comments:

Courtney said...

Those are some HUGE pumpkins!
Can't wait to try those muffins. I love sweets with pumpkin in them!

Monday through Sunday said...

mmmmm!! :)

Lacey said...

Yum, Yum, Yum!! Those look Delicious!!