Ma and Pa's Visit


I am in a post Pops and Grammanette valley. Two weeks ago I was filled with excitement and about one hundred different To Do Lists, my in-laws were coming! There is nothing like company to force you to clean your house the way you always want to but never seem to quite put forth the energy to get it accomplished. I mean Max doesn't notice the dust on the bottom, backside of the toilet, but I just know Jeanette would wind up on her hands and knees looking for something the kids dropped and spot it. Then there is the fridge, the windows, and the list goes on and on. As a woman, you just feel this compulsion to clean like crazy even though 5 minutes after they arrive it will look like a holy terror, but at least for 5 minutes it will be perfect.

Anyway, so two weeks ago I was busily cleaning and getting groceries for Pops and Grammanette's visit. I was full of anticipation and the excitement was building. Then they arrived and we ate, and we ate, and we drank, and then we ate some more. We laughed, we ate, we talked, we ate, we played, and we ate.

It was so much fun to have TWO adults in the house. I had grown-ups to talk to! Grown-ups that didn't mind the constant chatter and babble of kids and babies, grown-ups who love my kids, grown-ups that changed a diaper here and there, grown-ups who played with my kids, grown-ups to go to the museum with, grown-ups that could hold down the fort while I ran to the store or went shopping with Jeanette, and grown-ups that could find humor in Hank's constant spit-up problem.

I had such a wonderful time, but now they are gone. Max even came home on time to see them. It was great. But now they are gone and Max is back to living at work more than home. Sure we still eat and laugh but its just not as festive and fun as last week. Conversations about shapes, letters, 7 times tables, and poop in the potty aren't quite as intellectually stimulating. I am not the only one missing them. The girls keep asking when Pops and NannaNette, as Kaitlin says, will come back. All I can say is soon, I hope.
A sample of some of our eating. We did Thanksgiving on Saturday since they would be back in California for the actual day.
Kaitlin couldn't get enough of NannaNette. They were two peas in a pod. Kaitlin resembles Jeanette more than anyone else in the family.



It was Pops and Ma's 35th Wedding Anniversary ! Of course we celebrated by eating! Prime Rib, Popovers, Cesar salad and a German Chocolate Cake. What a beautiful example of marriage and two loving people whose sum is greater than their parts.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I know what you mean about post family let down. I love having that help and I know the kids love the attention they get! Kaitlin does look just like her grandma! And her hair has gotten SO long, when did that happen? ;) Karlie is your little pixie and so adorable. Hailey is such a big girl looking just like her daddy. Thanks for the pictures!

Blog a Blurb said...

We had such a good time. I highly recommend having a birthday party for your wedding day. Could not have been a better celebration!