A PEEdicament

Our faithful and sweet Daisy has put us into a bit of a peedicament. She is almost 12 years old and has been peeing in the house nearly every day for months. She has become increasingly crippled by arthritis so that she only gets up to go outside and to eat. Otherwise she sleeps on her bed. Some days she even limps a little. The Vet has diagnosed her with beginning renal failure, hence the peeing in the house. There are oral arthritis medications she could take to help her with the pain but they would be working her kidneys too hard. So he suggested doing injections into the joints every other week at 16 bucks per injection. It doesn't take a mathematician to add that up. Twelve year old dog + peeing in the house + expensive arthritis medication = big problem. It would be one thing if the Vet said she has cancer or was near death, but he said she "probably had 2 or 3 good years left." Good by whose definition? Washing the rugs daily is not good. Watching her suffer in pain is not good. But do we just pick any old day and say, 'this is the day I will kill my dog.' She did eat two boxes of Girl Scout cookies yesterday, but how can I kill my first baby? She was in my wedding. She has been through four kids and is still loyal and faithful. She has allowed babies to crawl on her, poke her eyes, pull her tail and ears. She has been used as a horse, as a playmate for tea parties, to snuggle with when feelings are hurt. How do you just decide to put your dog down when she has slept in your bed, even under the covers? When she at one time was like a child to you? How go you make this decision? This grown-up stuff stinks. :( It was much better thinking the family pet went to a “farmer so she could have lots of room to run.”

5 comments:

melanie said...

How sad! I pray that the Lord will give you wisdom...hard decision!

Gina said...

Hi! Devin's okay. She does have a lot going on in her life right now, but rest assured she is alright. Please keep her in your thoughts-she'll be back to blogging as soon as things settle down for her. Thanks for checking on her. I'll let her know you did so!

Lacey said...

Awww...Katie I am sorry. Poor girl. Poor you...what a tough situation.

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh Katie, I'm crying over here. :( I know I would feel exactly the same way about Jax. I told Brennan the other day I would pay the $155,000 to clone our dog, just like that guy did with his yellow lab. I was sort of kidding...

T. Russell said...

That's a hard situation...Have you seen or read "Marley and Me" it's a really good movie and book, good for the family too. I'll be praying for peace and wisdom for you and your family over this situation.