Sneaky Chef

I decided to check-out The Sneaky Chef from the library after a friend of mine was raving about an avocado milk shake her son loves. She went on to tell me that you make vegetable purees and hide them in your meals so the kids get extra servings of vegetables and fruits without even knowing it. I made three of the purees to see if I could incorporate them into my normal cooking. She offers many recipes but I wanted to try it on some of our family favorites.

As a family, in one week we at an entire huge, head of cauliflower, 2 zucchini, 3 carrots, a sweet-potato, 6 cups of strawberries, and 2 cups of blueberries in addition to our normal fruits and veggies! The kids (and usually Max) had no idea. As an example, you spread the carrot and sweet potato on the inside of quesadillas and then put the cheese on top. Karlie told me they were the best quesadillas I had ever made. LOL. We have been able to have lots of deserts by making "ice-cream" with frozen fruit and milk. It is a remarkable system. The only draw back is you have to spend a little time prepping the purees at the beginning of the week so they are available on hand in the freezer. But I am willing to spend a little more prep time to add that much bang to our regular eating. I highly recommend this for families and any one who wants to increase their consumption of fruits and veggies.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

I have the other book, deceptively delicious. It is the same premise. I actually think my book got in trouble because sneaky chef was the first one...but deceptively delicious was on oprah so it was more talked about- you know how that goes. You need to let us know which yum recipes are the best. :) I must admit carrot/sweetpotatoe quesadillas don't sound all that appetizing...did you try them?

Splaneyo said...

I have been wondering about this too. I ordered the book from the library this summer, but it arrived right in the middle of our move. I know that there is a website for the book with a few sample recipes - just haven't done it yet. Our kids eat tons of fruit, but we are definitely deficient in the vegetable department. Keep us posted as to whether or not it has staying power - I'll use any excuse to buy another cookbook...