24

OK, so I am not saving the nation from a terrorist but I am being terrorized and trying to stay alive for the next 24 hours. Here is my 24.

12:00 a.m.-4:45 Fitfully sleeping because I have so much pain in my throat. I went to the doctor Monday and the rapid Strep was negative. The only time I have ever had this type of pain is with Strep. It is now Thursday and I am able to not take pain medicine around the clock but after doing this for 4 days while Max was in Boston, I am feeling wiped out and that maybe it is all in my head. What could possibly hurt this bad for so long and NOT be Strep? Anyway. Hank is up once in this time frame. He seems to be getting my imagined throat bug.

4:45 a.m.- Hank wakes up. He slimes me with snot as I pick him up. It is all over my cheek, hair, and shirt. I am too tired to care. I take him back to bed and try to nurse him back to sleep. He can't breath so its a bit like underwater nursing. Suck, suck, suck, pull off, gasp for air, suck, suck, suck, breath.... You can imagine the fabulous milk mess this makes all over me and the bed. Great, now I have to change the sheets today.

5:15 a.m.-Stop pretending that I will get to go back to sleep and get up with Hank. Make coffee and start making lunches.

6:00 a.m.- Wake-up the girls to start getting ready for school and quiz Hailey one final time on her spelling and map test.

7:00a.m.- Frantically trying to feed everyone and get coats and backpacks together. There have been numerous butt wipings durning this time. It is astonishing how much butt wiping I do in 24 hours. I am still in my snot streaked and milk drenched P.J.s and look like zombie. We have to leave in 30 min. I guess I should brush my hair and teeth but feel more like crawling in bed in the fetal position.

8:00 a.m.- Got Hailey off to school and head home. Get home and put Hank to sleep and try to grab something to eat myself. Soup for breakfast? Gross. As I am getting in the shower Hank wakes up.

9:00 a.m.- Take a shower with Hank, Karlie, and Kaitlin. Wow, that was so relaxing. Not to mention my shower is a stall, so 4 is definitely a crowd. Get everyone out and dressed-again. Quickly grab the library card and look-up what books are due. Run around the house half naked searching for books and movies and trying to get the monkeys ready for library class.

10:00 a.m.- Make it to the library just in time. We have 5 minutes to get from the car to the class. Getting the stroller out will take too much time. I assess my load and decide to take Hank out of the carrier, leave the diaper bag (please don't have a blow-out Hank) and throw my wallet in the library bag. We make a choo-choo train as we walk/run into the library and drop off the books and movies. While the girls are in class I pick out some more books and go to check out. Rats! The library card is still by the computer at home. Rifle through my wallet to find Hailey's library card. It won't let me self check out. Strange, I haven't' used it since Hank was born. I take it to the seemingly nice librarian where she informs me that I had a book that was due in May but has since been returned and I owe them $5.00. Gasp. I try to tell her how my son almost died and the library book must have slipped my mind. She stared down at me through her glasses that were low on her nose as if she were a cop hearing a story about why I was speeding. I decided she wasn't going to budge on the fine and forked over my card and checked out the books. Library class is over and we are now rushing to get home in time for Kaitlin's speech therapist.

11:00 a.m.- Therapist calls and says she is running behind. I make a quick lunch because if they don't eat now then it won't be until 12:30 which will throw naps and everything else off for the afternoon. Speech therapist arrives, we have a great session.

12:30 p.m- Put Kaitlin down for a nap and make a cup of tea for my imagined sore throat. Karlie asks to watch Gumbie that we just checked out from the library. I grab the library bag from the car (which still has my wallet in it) and get her set-up with Gumbie. Hank is trying to walk so I am following him around making sure he doesn't crack his head open. He is fussy and clingy. I can't wait for him to take a nap so I can have a few minutes to nurse my imagined sickness. A pile of dishes, clean laundry waiting to be folded, dirty laundry waiting to be washed, sheets needing to be changed, and toys all over the house await their daily attention. I am too exhausted. It will have to wait.

1:30 p.m.- Hank is finally ready for a nap. Repeat of of underwater nursing. After almost 30 minutes he is asleep. Poor guy. That imaginary bug is really a doozy. Ahhh. The couch and I meet.

2:00 p.m.- Phone rings. The doctor's office calls to tell me that the culture grew out positive. I DO have Strep! I say hallelujah! Now I can have some drugs!! Light bulb goes on that Hank must have the same bug. I wait on the phone for 10 minutes to make an appoint for him at the pediatricians. They squeeze us in for right after I pick-up Hailey. (For any of you who are no longer in the kid era, if you wait for 10 minutes to talk to someone, you know they are really busy. Especially if it is not 8:00 a.m. when you are calling. Second, if they are "squeezing you in" - that means double booking = very long wait once you get there. I mentally prepare myself for waiting at the germ infected doctors office with four kids.)

2:30 p.m.- Wake up Kaitlin and Hank to get ready to go pick-up Hailey. Snacks, shoes, coats, baby dolls, potty, car seats and we are off.

3:30 p.m.- Arrive at Dr.'s office and see the large, bold face type sign that says INSURANCE CARDS MUST BE PRESENTED AT EVERY VISIT! With panic I realize I left my wallet at home in the stinking library bag! We enter into what looks like a flu triage zone. There are kids of all ages coughing, sneezing, looking fever ridden laying on their moms, many still in P.J.s I had a stern talk with the girls on the way and said absolutely no playing with the toys in the waiting room. They were instructed to find a seat as far away from other kids and not move while I check in. Hailey and Karlie, who know this drill, were perfect. Kaitlin on the other hand makes a B-line for the toys and books. What is a mom to do? Scream and make a scene about germs? Or just play it off and feel like I am going to vomit because I know of the contamination that is taking place and how I will soon be paying for it. I decide to try and put all my energy into charming the severe looking receptionist. I have no insurance card and no way to pay. For once looking disheveled and desperate paid off. Maybe she saw the horror in my eyes as I watched Kaitlin becoming infected with anything from the flu to a GI bug. Or maybe God sent a little angle to help me. Regardless, a miracle of events took place. Hank had just been in a week ago for an ear infection, so she said she could use the copy of the card from then. Thank you Lord. Then she looked at the sheet and said I had a credit that she could apply for the co-payment! We are eventually taken back to the patient room where we sat and waited and waited.

4:25 p.m.- Run out of the Dr.'s office after finding out that Hank is indeed positive for Strep and having Karlie tested since she had some signs of it too. The doctor will call me for her results because I had to leave to try and be across town for parent/teacher conferences at 4:45 p.m. I swing by my mom's house and drop all four kids off. While speeding to the girls' school for conferences I remember I don't have my wallet. So, if I get pulled over, I don't have a licence, our insurance cards,or even any screaming kids to vouch that I am an absent minded mother, not thief. I decide I had better not try my luck and slow down. I make it and am only a minute late. Another miracle.

5:30 p.m.- Leave conferences. The girls got excellent reports. The doctor calls and says Karlie's rapid is negative but she will call my in two days if the culture is positive. I arrive at my mom's and eat a piece of pizza before loading the herd up and heading to the pharmacy to drop of Hank's prescription and then home. My mom is such a major blessing. She fed the kids and sent me home with some pizza for Max too. No dinner to make or dishes to clean-up.

6:30 p.m.- Max is home so I can go pick-up the prescriptions.

7:30 p.m.- All sick people have been dosed with antibiotics and pain medicine. Brush teeth, jamies, potty, prayers, and bed.

8:30 p.m.- Fall into bed. The house looks like Hiroshima exploded and I never did change the sheets, but that is what tomorrow is for. Phone rings. Walgreens pharmacist calls to notify me that I left my insurance card there. Awesome.

11:10 p.m.- Get up to help Kaitlin go potty.

4:00 a.m. Kaitlin thinks it is time to get-up. Put her back to bed.

4:45 a.m. Hank wakes up. Isn't today Friday the 13th? I think I would like to change places with Jack Bauer for 24 hours.

7 comments:

Lacey said...

wow Katie, by your 1:30 I was exhausted. I hope you guys are feeling better now that you have meds. And hope no one else gets it. Oh...and don't feel bad about the doctors office, I am the exact same way...no playing with toys. :)

MandM said...

And I thought ONE was exhausting :) I hope you feel better soon, love Mel

SCOTT BURROUGHS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SCOTT BURROUGHS said...

Wow, that's all I can say...

Courtney said...

I'm reading it again, just for laughs, sorry! LOL! You are so funny. I can just relate to the stupid insurance card. Something I would do:)Yes, I am tired just reading about your day. Super Mommy is what I would call myself if I were you!

Splaneyo said...

Sorry it was so rough - glad you got your antibiotics though. The boys have been home for a week with a roto virus. =) Those offices make me so mad...why have germ magnets around sick children. I tell my kids the same thing - DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. My favorite is when the offer them animal crackers after the visit. Thanks, we'll see you in 4 days when they come down with whatever the last kid just had. We went to one pediatrician's office that only had books and a fish tank for that reason - lousy doctor though. Anyway, hope you all feel better soon!
Heather

Lacey said...

Happy Birthday Karlie girl. Hope you have a GREAT day!!