Migraine -1 , Katie - 0

Yesterday I experienced my first migraine headache.  I was at gymnastics with the girls and my right eye started to see like I was looking underwater.  For a while I was thinking I needed to change my contacts, then after lots of blinking, I thought maybe I was zoning out and starring at lights for too long.  My sister Kerrie was sitting next to me and must have noticed my odd behavior of squinting and shaking my head because she asked what was wrong.  After 10 minutes of trying to fix my vision, I had come to the conclusion I had damaged my optic nerve or cancer had spread into my brain. LOL  I told Kerrie what was going on and she informed me I would be experiencing a migraine in about 30 minutes.  Both Kerrie and Chrysti suffer from migraines.  I was in disbelief.  I don't get migraines. 


Wrong.  Kerrie offered to drive me home and I thought she was being a little dramatic.  I mean, it is just a headache.  I am tough chick after all.  She left and I continued to run after the three little ones whose classes had finished while we watched Hailey finish.  I started to feel nauseated and thought the strange vision was making me queezy.  Twenty minutes later my vision returned to normal and all was well, for about 5 minutes.  Then this razor sharp line of pain behind my left eye dug into my brain.  Thankfully I was able to get home before it exploded.

When we arrived home the message light was blinking and I was hoping it was Max saying he had left early and would be home any minute.  Nope.  He had a frozen section and would be late tonight.  Perfect.  What did I do?  Tough it out like a real woman?  No!  I called my Mommy like a little girl and begged her to pick-up dinner for the kids and come rescue me.  Waiting those 15 minutes was pretty brutal.  Having my eyes open was so painful.  But keeping your eyes closed while trying to watch Hank is dangerous.  So in a half curled up position with my eyes mostly shut I survived.  But then Hank was poopy so I changed him.  Thankfully I have all those years of experience changing diapers because I can really now say I can change a diaper with my eyes closed!

My mom arrived and I made a B-line for bed.  After that I don't remember anything until Max came in to check on me about an hour and a half later.  I could now open my eyes and not be in pain.  I just felt sore.  I am so thankful that it happened at the time it did.  What if my mom couldn't come to my rescue?  I am also so thankful for Advil.  I love the person who invented it!

I had to look up information about migraines and see what the triggers were.  I had 10 of the 12 triggers.  I guess I was due.  So, the migraine won this round.  Hopefully it was our first and last encounter because this chick learned she is not so tough after all.

3 comments:

john leopold, md said...

Katie - in kids migraines will magically go away in seconds by doing a handstand or letting your head hand over a chair or something like that. Migraines usually get better after vomiting; the increased vascular pressure reverses the dilation of arterial walls (which causes the pain). Doing a handstand does the same thing.Haven't done this trick much in adults for obvious reasons but it'
worth a try next time. Have to do it right away or you've pretty much bought the farm. This trick is not in texts. Our chief of peds at SW Med School in Dallas (Dr Eichenwald had migraines and told us of his trick back in 1969). Have a better one!! Dr John

Courtney said...

I vote for standing on your head next time...:)
Glad you had your Mom there to help. How MISERABLE!!

Splaneyo said...

Hope you are feeling better today!