Turbulent Times

Yesterday a storm blew through our neighborhood. Our neighbors had warned us that there are very strong winds in these parts and that their trampoline will often end up in our yard. We got a dose of just how powerful the wind was yesterday as it threw our chairs and table into the yard causing the glass top to shatter into thousands of pieces. Each time I would pick up a large piece, it would shatter further into carat size shards of glass. It gave a new meaning of finding a needle in a haystack. I was combing through the grass trying my hardest to find every sliver.   Too bad they were not diamonds.

That part of the yard happens to be the spot where Daisy likes to pee. Lucky me. As luck would have it as I was combing glass out of the pee filled grass, Hank climbed the patio steps behind me. It was like a slow motion scene in a movie where I went running and as he saw me, he took a step forward and I saw him fall, missing the step nearest to him and falling directly on the the patio 2 feet below. The side of his forehead took the brunt of the fall leaving a half dollar size goose egg.  At that point I called it a night and decided I would try again tomorrow.  After discussing the disaster with Max and my parents, I decided to try the vacuum. Using the adapter hose, I sucked up all the glass and then on hands and knees tried to examine every inch.  It only took 2 hours but I think the yard is safe again. That is until Hank is on the loose again...

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Katie, that is crazy!! And who would have thought you'd ever need to vac the yard!! That sounds like a big job!

john leopold, md said...

Katie - I can picture you vacuuming the back yard! You could have waited til the storms the next day blew everything into Kansas.