Pheasant Nuggets

Recently Max had an opportunity to go hunting for pheasant with our neighbor. Of the 11 birds they flushed, they brought home 9! So we ended up with 5 pheasant in our freezer.

I had never eaten pheasant and was a little worried it would be "gamy". However our neighbor passed along this recipe to make them like chicken nuggets and they were delicious! You can eat almost anything if it is deep fried. I just hope his success doesn't transfer over to Bambi one day. I can do pheasant nuggets, but I am not sure I could swallow Bambi nuggets! :0)
Pheasant Nuggets

1cup flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp parsley
1 cup ice water
1 egg yolk, beaten
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1/2 tsp salt

Make herb batter by stirring together flour, cornstarch, cheese, parsley and salt. Make a well in center of dry ingredients.

Beat ice water, egg yolk and egg whites together add add all at once to dry ingredients.

Cut one pheasant breast into 1 inch chunks and dip into batter and deep fry until done.

We mixed ranch and wing sauce 6:1 parts for dipping.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I will have to send the recipe on to my mother-in-law, as they tend to have lots of birds in their freezer! Fried-ness does look good, although that'd be a stretch for me!