Its Not All in My Head


Finally some validation. Finally some proof! A recent study published in Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology found that pregnant women do experience slight memory loss and that it can extend into the first year after birth. "The researchers could not establish whether the forgetfulness lasts longer because none of the research they analyzed went beyond the one-year observational period." (CNN)


Well sign me up! I can tell you it lasts much longer than a year post-partum and I am thinking there is a cumulative effect, as in the more babies you pop out, the worse your memory gets. It is comforting to know that I have not entered early Alzheimer's and there is hope that one day I will not open the fridge and stand there wondering what for. This morning I open it and mumbled to myself, "where am I, why am I here?" Karlie responded, "Mom, your in the kitchen and you are making breakfast." Oh, right! I was getting Hank some juice. I had to laugh. Poor Karlie must think I have really lost it. So be kind to those pregnant women and mothers of young ones. If we forget to call you or look confused and dazed at the store, or if we stand at the counter unable to remember our order. Try to have patience. It's not our fault. :0)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Amen sista! I'll walk upstairs to get something and think, "why did I come up here?". Our minds are just trying so hard to multitask that it becomes hard to...wait, what was I saying?

Blog a Blurb said...

I have read, too, that multi-tasking results in the same thing. . . And you can't do much more multi tasking than keeping up with four kids, husband, home, and . . . . oh, yourself!!! I think you are on that list, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!