Lucky Leprechaun Rainbow Cupcakes

For Karlie's class party we decided to make rainbow cupcakes with cloud frosting and a jackpot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They were so pretty and fun. Karlie is thrilled with her Lucky Leprechaun Rainbow Cupcakes.
First you need some kitchen help. I employed an almost 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old.
Then get six bowls. Make two boxes of white cake mix and divide it equally between the bowls.
You can use regular food coloring or for really bright colors, use Wiltons food coloring. After dying each color of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple, see how long until one of the kids gets frosting on their clothes! Next start layering the colors with purple on the bottom. I found a heaping baby spoon worked well. Gently spread each layer over the next being sure to cover the previous layers.
As I was doing the layers, I thought it would be fun to make earth day cupcakes and
then CSU cupcakes for game day! I am sure you could get creative with any event.
I ended up with enough for 24 cupcakes and enough for one 8 inch round. So we will have a rainbow cake tonight for Karlie's real birthday!
The colors look so great.
Then I added white frosting with a chocolate covered gold coin to finish off the rainbow.
While these are more of a time investment (like 2 hours) than regular cupcakes, you will be sure to have lots of luck pleasing kids with them! Karlie's class went bananas this morning when she brought them.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

What a FUN Birthday day! Always a colorful celebration. The cupcakes turned out so great. Maybe I'll try them when I'm feeling the need to try and get food coloring out of Cate's clothes. ;)