Little Girls' Extreme Room Makeover

This is how their room has looked since we moved in. We split the bunk bed set up with one bed for Karlie and one for Hailey. Kaitlin has been in her toddler bed for nearly two years and has been asking for a "big girl bed" since Christmas. So I decided for her birthday we would do a surprise room make over with a big girl bed. I have been buying bits and pieces and planning the room out over the last three months.


About two weeks ago we bought a bed set off craigslist for Hailey to allow us to put the original bunk bed set back together. But we continued to make Kaitlin sleep on the crib mattress to add to the surprise of a big girl bed on her birthday.
Here is the room at 8 am. After we had breakfast, I took the kids to school as any normal day. Kaitlin thought Daddy was just going in late, she had no idea that he was staying home to redo her room! As soon as I left, Max began moving furniture and taping.
Here is the room at 3 p.m. My mom picked the little girls up from school and took them to lunch and the park so we could secretly keep working. Hank was very instrumental in this make over. :0)
He went with me to Costco to buy the mattress and everyone thought he was the one getting a big boy bed as he jumped and bounced on the bed as I tried to hold onto him so he wouldn't crack his head open. Five little monkeys jumping on the bed kept playing through my mind. Hopefully he won't be jumping out of his crib anytime soon!
We changed the play area around and made it the reading nook. The kids all love to read, so I wanted to create a comfortable place for them to enjoy their books. They have been begging for bean bags, so I incorporated those in. You can't see it very well, but there is a pink and white polka dot rug too.
I could not decide how to put Kaitlin's request for a purple room, Karlie's request for a green room and both of them wanting pink polka dots. Visions of Easter Eggs were all I could think of. At one point I was going to do pink and green walls with purple accents. Then It was pink and purple walls. Finally I decided on lavender and green walls with pink polka accents.
My favorite part of this was the bedding. Kaitlin kept talking about wanting pink and purple polka dots. Meanwhile Karlie loves green and she wanted the room to be green with pink polka dots. I jumped for joy when I found the perfect bedding at Home Goods.
The only problem was they had the green in a twin but not the purple. The purple sheets were a twin but the comforter was a full. So I cut it down and sewed some pillows with the extra. While at the fabric store getting the fabric to recover the desk chair and toy chest, I ran into a lady that does embroidery and she put the girls' names on the shams for me! With every Pottery Barn Kids catalog Karlie would beg me to put her name on her pillow. I am really happy with how they turned out. It was the first time the lady had ever done it and I think she did a fabulous job.

We had the white wood letters from before we moved but never put them up because we knew we wanted to paint the room. Who knew it would be 10 months before we actually painted. LOL

The toy box didn't go as well as I had hoped. It is still a work in progress, but you get the idea. We were running out of time, so hopefully it will get officially done this weekend.


I found 77 cent knobs at Lowe's to transform Hailey's horse themed dresser into Kaitlin's own dresser. This dresser was mine in high school. I think this is the fourth set of knobs it has seen.

Hailey's desk and chair got an update for Karlie. I am just crazy about polka dots!
I found some baskets for their Barbies and dolls that went with the polka dot theme too!! Walmart is the place to go for a room makeover on a budget. The bookshelves were only 15 bucks each! I had planned to repaint my black ones from college, but Max said I would spend close to that in paint. So Max now has some fancy black shelves for the garage.
Some special touches I had been secretly working on was putting each of their names on their bean bag. I did this using iron on letters from Michael's. I loved the beanbags from Pottery Barn Kids, but I could get each of the kids one from Target for the price of one theirs. Target has them in pink, lavender, red, and navy for $20. Can you guess what Hank is getting for his birthday?


I used the left over fabric from the toy box and the chair to make this sweet picture for the wall. Their hands are the same size. Kaitlin is going to be one big girl. I was thrilled with the way her big girl room turned out.
I think she liked it. :0)
Karlie lucked out on this deal and got a pretty cool un-birthday gift.
Best buds.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

It turned out so great!!!! I am amazed that you did it all in one day. I love the colors on the walls and it looks perfect with the white furniture. Girly but not too kiddie. They will grow into it for years to come!

Lacey said...

OHHHHH.....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, It!! It turned out so cute Katie. Seriously, how do you do it?? Another talent we find you have. You are making all the rest of us moms look bad. :) Great job. I am sure they love it!! They look adorable in their pretty room. :)

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing mom!

Lacey said...

I just came on to find this post and I realized I did end up finding the same pink/green quilt at Marshalls last week. I came home with six quilts and shams. I am so indecisive it is ridiculous. wish you lived closer so you could come help me decide. Love their room. :)