Skier's Fondant Cake


I did my first commissioned cake. One of Max's colleagues saw Hank's digger cake and then Max showed her some of the others we had done and she asked me to make a skier cake for her husband's birthday. They moved from New York to become skiers and their kids have really taken off and are in a recreational racing league. She thought they would get a kick out of the ski themed cake.
The little people are her husband and her boys. I used the tip of an ice cream cone to decorate the pine trees and sprinkled them with powdered sugar. The cake was chocolate with buttercream icing. I used the Pampered Chef mixing bowl to create the hill and used a 9 inch round for the base. It was covered in marshmallow fondant. The gates are held up with colored toothpicks.
She called me to thank me and said she liked it. Hopefully the kids and her husband did too! The cake has drummed up some more business and I will be doing one for a baby shower next week! I guess Kate's Cakes is officially open. :)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

It turned out great! That was a tricky theme. I still don't know how you did the "hill" part. Great job!

Lacey said...

So glad to see a picture of the first commissioned cake!! I've been waiting. Looks awesome. As always.
Great Job Katie. I think "Katie's Cakes" sounds great! :)

MandM said...

I told you you should open a business :)

abhishekpanda said...

great art!
Happy Mothers Day 2015 Ideas