Baaaad Sheep Cake

I made this sheep cake for one of Max's colleagues baby's 1st birthday. The baby has an infatuation with sheep. When I originally agreed to do the cake, I didn't think through that the prior weekend I would be doing Hailey's cake and party. I was a bit burnt out on cakes when Monday came and I had to start making this little guy.
The dad requested lemon cake with a black faced sheep. I had never used lemon cake for a sculpted cake. Lesson number one from this baaaad sheep: always test your idea. The lemon cake is from the Barefoot Contessa and is to die for. However, it is so moist it doesn't stand up well under pounds of cake, buttercream and fondant.


As I began to apply the layers of buttercream, the base of the cake buckled and the whole thing started looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Lesson number two: with more than two tiers,cake boards and dowels are a necessity!

I began madly spearing the little lamb with cake dowels in an attempt to save a days worth of baking. The base was literally falling to pieces. Luckily I had a lot of left over fondant from Hailey's cake and created lift that I shoved under the back to support the cake. After adding the bright orange fondant band aid, and 5 wooden spears, the cake seemed stable but was looking more like a Halloween cake than a lamb.

I continued to make his fur. Denver has had some very hot days this week and my buttercream soon began to melt and began sliding down the sheep! This was turning out very baaaaaaaad! It was 9 pm and the cake was going to work with Max in the morning. Not to mention I made the girls skip gymnastics and became a bit of a raving lunatic as the panic set in. I began to calculate the working hours I would have if I started over right then.

Max got home and was able to take care of the kids so I could go full throttle on the cake. After frosting him, I quickly put him the fridge and prayed to the cake gods to have pity on me. It was a little boys first birthday! Why did it have to be a cake for someone else that was such a disaster?! They could have punished me with Hailey's cake instead! I could deal with hidden orange fondant supports and enough wooden spears to grill a sheep. But not strangers! They just won't understand.

The cake gods were kind and the sheep made it through the night, the car ride to work, and through the next day. The Dad was happy with how he looked. I had to tell him of all the surprises he would find under the fur. At least you can't see someone blush through email. While he looks so sweet, don't let those big eyes fool you. He is a baaaaaad little lamb!

2 comments:

Ms. E said...

Katie you are a true talent! THAT CAKE LOOKS INCREDIBLE!

Heather said...

Fantastic job! If you hadn't said anything, I never would have known.