The Louvre

I have to apologize for the abundance of pictures but this was a ONCE in a lifetime trip and I hope to record some of what we saw and how we felt.
Our next day we dedicated mostly to the Louvre. The art within in the architecture was as amazing as the art on the walls. We walked at a steady pace all day, only to stop at pieces that really caught our eye and we still didn't manage to see everything. The sculpture was by far our favorite area. The ability of the sculptor to put so much emotion and softness into marble left us in awe.After seeing ceiling after ceiling with gorgeous murals, I am thinking I need one in my bedroom.

How about that rail Pops? Think you could install one of those in my house?
The only place I think this chandelier could look appropriate is in the Louvre.
It was mind boggling to be close enough to touch art works in the 100s of millions of dollar range. This was Napoleon's sword and crown.
The Mona Lisa. While she doesn't impress me the way other pieces do, I must admit it was pretty incredible to see her in person.
The Winged Victory of Samothrace was stunning. She represents the ideal woman: powerful, beautiful, free and strong.
Aphrodite of Melos was created around 100 BC. I really enjoyed reading about some of our favorite pieces. I learned she is constructed of two pieces of marble and they are joined where her skirt falls so it appears it is one seamless piece.
Michelangelo's Dying Slave. I saw Michelangelo's art close enough to touch! This was one of Max's favorite pieces.
The Satyre and Bacchante are rumored to be that of the sculptor Jean-Jaques Pradier and his mistress.
The tenderness in Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss makes you want to be in love. This was my favorite piece. The emotions that the sculptors are able to invoke were profound.
The Louvre is so large it even has giant sculptures from the Egyptian period!
We spent a lot of time in the sculpture gardens. These Captives were remarkable. Max appreciated the craftsmanship with metal.
I loved this sculpture of Pyrrha. I learned she was the equivalent in Greek mythology to Noah's wife. Deucalion and Pyrrha built an ark and were the only survivors of the flood Zeus sent to punish mankind for their wicked ways. They repopulated the earth by throwing stones over their backs. Here she is with four of her babies. :) Gee, can't imagine why I liked it so.
As the day wore on, I seemed to find something that connected me to the kids with each piece. This horse bust reminded me of Hailey.

Cupid reminded me of Karlie.
This one reminded me of Kaitlin.
This little guy, Engineering Afflicted, made my heart ache so badly for Hank, I had to restrain myself from cuddling the marble statue. I later learned he is crying because he represents a funeral, not because he misses his mama. By the end of the day, I was missing the kids deeply.
We spent 8 hours at the Louvre. I could have easily spent a week. At times I felt like a mouse in a maze. The Louvre is over 650,000 square feet and houses almost 35,000 pieces of art! It was so massive, I don't think it is possible to see every piece in one day. It was a lovely day together at the Louvre. Since we hadn't done enough walking, we were off to see The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel and the Place Vendome next.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Love Max's favorite statue!! Looks like you guys had a great time! Loving all your posts!!

Courtney said...

Ahh, the Louvre! So nice you got to spend some great time there taking it all in...