Black Friday

Yesterday my mom, sister and I braved the crowds and the cold to be at Target when it opened. Yes, we were there at 4 a.m. As my alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. I asked myself what I was doing but then I reminded myself that I got up at this same time to do a triathlon where I would be plunging myself into an algae infested lake with hundreds of other women splashing me and kicking me. Now shopping is worth getting up for, triathlons I am not so sure. After my mental pep talk I stumbled down to start the coffee and then went to put my contacts in. My eyes pleaded with me to let them go back to bed and not stick the contacts in. After a short battle, my eyes saw the light and knew soon they would be feasting upon the glories of the big red bulls eye! I got dressed and grabbed my coffee and headed out to the car.



It was 20 degrees when I got in the car. Again I started the mental banter about how stupid this all was. But then the seat warmers kicked in and I was able to refocus myself on the mission ahead. I was shocked with how many other wack jobs were out at 3:45 a.m. There was actually traffic! You could feel the urgency in each driver. As I pulled up to a light next to a minivan, I glanced over to see my competition. The woman looked over and we gave each other a sheepish grin. We gave a knowing look. A look of two women on a mission to score as many toys for Christmas as she could for her kids. It was moment of sisterhood. The light turned green and we each gunned it. Sisterhood or not, I was getting to Target first. I turned on the Christmas music and sang along with, "It's the most wonderful time of the year!" Oh yeah, I was getting my game face on now.

The line at Target showed me there really are people crazier than me. It extended past 4 other store fronts to the intersection to the shopping complex. I had no plans of waiting in the cold for that half price scooter. Just as I drove by the door, the clock hit 4 and the mad rush ensued. It was like on TV, people who had not waited in the line for hours were rushing the door, people who had waited were screaming at people to get in the back, there was pushing and yelling. The security guards came running to intervene before it got nasty. I parked and met up with my mom and sister and we calmly merged with the line. This is how the pros do it. There were no carts left so we split up to cover as much territory as possible.

I have found it is actually better to have one person man the cart and send out others to seek and destroy. You can get in between people and carts easily, grab what you need and drop it back off at the cart. We were grabbing scooters and leapster games and all the things Santa will need on his sleigh. It was glorious! As our cart filled to capacity we saw the line to check out mirrored the line to get in.

Hours of waiting were ahead of us. So I held the cart and our place in line while they continued to conquer the door busters. After not moving much in 20 minutes, my mom went to investigate the check out scene. As she did I had a lovely conversation with a man in front of me that had no front teeth. We exchanged war stories. He had got to Target at 2:45 a.m. in hopes of scoring the TV. By the time he made it through the door, his toes were numb and he ran in and made a wrong turn to the electronics, when really the TVs were back in the home section. (I guess he lost his teeth in a different battle.) He was a bit defeated but still managed to find some great deals.

My mom came back and took command of the cart as she informed me that over in grocery, you can practically walk right up and check out. We were out in 15 minutes with our loot. It was time to huddle and plan our next attack. We had great fun scoring deals and watching the other crazed shoppers out there. After a strenuous morning of shopping we went out to breakfast to recap on our morning's victories! Gotta love Black Friday.

7 comments:

Lacey said...

This was my first year to NOT be a crazy Black Friday shopper. It is chaotic but gets you into the holiday spirit. Glad you found the grocery line (Score) and glad you guys have some fun memories and you got a head start on your Christmas Gifts. :) Yeah!

It's the Holiday season....da...doo..da..doo..do..do. :)

Anonymous said...

If I win the lottery I'm sending you a bag of money so you can rent a motor home and driver. You can spend the night and hire pro very burly line campers for a front row spot. Equipped with walkie-talkies and perched on proper vantage points your team can send unusually tall and thin runners to all the hot spots to gather all the cool gifts. Then with dignity eat breakfast and proceed to the Spa. Love your adventures, Uncle John

Courtney said...

Hilarious! I especially liked the minivan mom senario! Way to go on some Santa shopping, and all before the kids were out of bed-that's major determination!

ninest123 said...

nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, nike free, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, uggs on sale, tory burch outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, sac longchamp, replica watches, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, nike free, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry, air max, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, replica watches, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, prada handbags, nike air max, gucci outlet, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, tiffany and co

ninest123 said...

michael kors outlet, ugg boots, north face, coach purses, ray ban uk, hollister, hogan, mulberry, michael kors, sac guess, ugg boots, timberland, true religion jeans, ralph lauren uk, hermes, lacoste pas cher, ray ban pas cher, michael kors, oakley pas cher, michael kors, nike blazer, coach outlet, replica handbags, abercrombie and fitch, tn pas cher, nike air max, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, north face, true religion jeans, air force, burberry, true religion jeans, nike air max, kate spade handbags, vans pas cher, lululemon, michael kors outlet, nike free run uk, hollister pas cher, michael kors outlet, new balance pas cher, nike roshe, nike air max, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, vanessa bruno, coach outlet, michael kors, converse pas cher

ninest123 said...

chi flat iron, longchamp, soccer shoes, bottega veneta, instyler, nike roshe, insanity workout, baseball bats, hollister, celine handbags, north face outlet, iphone cases, ghd, mcm handbags, north face outlet, lancel, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, gucci, ray ban, vans shoes, new balance, reebok shoes, babyliss, nike air max, valentino shoes, birkin bag, timberland boots, herve leger, converse outlet, vans, converse, p90x workout, jimmy choo shoes, nike air max, oakley, soccer jerseys, louboutin, hollister, mont blanc, nike trainers, nike huarache, ralph lauren, ferragamo shoes, hollister, mac cosmetics, lululemon, wedding dresses, beats by dre, nfl jerseys

ninest123 said...

supra shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, canada goose, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, canada goose, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg boots uk, moncler, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, swarovski, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, coach outlet, links of london, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, karen millen, moncler, doudoune canada goose, marc jacobs, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, hollister, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, montre pas cher, canada goose outlet, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler, ugg pas cher, bottes ugg, moncler, toms shoes, moncler, canada goose, replica watches, thomas sabo