Hot Yoga

Over the weekend our friends came over to have a few Margaritas. If you have ever tasted Max's Margs you know that a couple of them will leave you in an altered state. It was in such a state that I agreed to go to hot yoga with my girlfriend. She has been trying to get me to join her gym for a while and I am just not a gym girl. But in my happy, carefree, tequila induced state, I was bullet proof and eagerly agreed to go with her in the morning to hot yoga. It sounded fun at the time.
(In case you were wondering, this is me. I just dyed my hair and got really buff since the last time you saw me.)

Then the morning rolled around and for some unknown reason I had a bit of a headache and would have been much happier cuddled up in bed. However, I am a girl of my word and got up and dressed for hot yoga. Thinking to myself that I have only done yoga in the comforts of my own home, I began to worry about the hour and a half session with gym yoga girls ahead of me. Plus I haven't done any yoga in about a two years! What was I thinking? Dang Margaritas.

We got to the gym and I was dazzled. This was no ordinary gym. It is a Lifetime Fitness Gym. My girlfriend calls it the poor man's country club. Boy do I want to be that poor man. I could go on and on but you really can't understand how huge and how nice it is unless you are in it. The kids zone alone is enough to lure me in, not to mention the water park! Who cares about the never ending sea of exercise equipment, free fitness classes, health cafe, or hair salon. It has a tube slide! :)

We headed up to the yoga studio after dropping our bags in the nicest locker room I have seen. The room was dim and meditation music was softly playing in the background. We took our places on our mats as the yoga instructor informed us it was currently 84 degrees and she is now setting it to 100 degrees. Margaritas equal agreeing to do yoga for an hour and a half in 100 degrees. They should come with a warning.

As the class began we had our eyes closed and focused on our breathing as the instructor reminded us "it is not about reaching your goal but having a goal to reach." I was thinking my goals were not to fall flat on my face and to not pass out and see the yoga fairies. Lofty, I know.

I don't remember my toes ever sweating when not in shoes. I could feel the sweat beading up on them. Each pose was held for 45 to 60 seconds with a standing series and and a sitting series that are each repeated. By the last standing series my muscles were trembling so much that my entire body was shaking like a leaf. The yoga instructor called this muscle memory. I just call it pain. As the class progressed the heavy breathing from the class began to over power the calming music. I think I sounded like a horse at the Derby!

During the cool down I was euphoric, not only because I had not stroked out or made a total fool of myself. But because I had 90 minutes of mostly quiet time in a warm -okay hot, room while I stretched, releasing all my stress and happy endorphins surged. The yoga instructor commented on how we all looked "yoga stoned." It was true. I have never felt better after a work out. I felt strong, flexible and had a happiness that I don't have after other forms of self inflicted torture working out.

That is until the next morning when muscles I didn't know I had hurt. From my head to my toes, I felt every muscle that participated in hot yoga. Now that I am two days out and I didn't fall on my face or see the yoga fairies, I am a fan. I can't wait to try it again and see if I get the same post yoga high and if my muscles remember anything. If you get the opportunity, even if it requires a few margaritas to agree to it, try hot yoga. It is unlike any other work out!

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Tee Hee hee.. I agreed to go in the same state you were with margarita's at my 30th birthday party. We went to Bikram Yoga the very next morning. Two of my friends walked out. One vomited. And I kept looking at the clock and getting called out being told to not watch the clock. LOL. Towards the end, I wasn't even involved in the poses. She told me to just lay on the mat and try and tolerate the heat and breath through it. Quite the experience. I do love it though!! Ours is only a Birkram hot yoga studio and they have an elixir bar inside, along with childcare. I think it's awesome that a regular gym would offer this.

Courtney said...

Sounds like I need some margs...err YOGA! Wish I lived by you-we could be derby horses together. ;) :)

ninest123 said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, air max, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, burberry, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, chanel handbags, replica watches, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, louboutin pas cher, nike free, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, air jordan pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, nike roshe run, uggs on sale, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, sac longchamp, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors, louis vuitton

ninest123 said...

kate spade handbags, new balance pas cher, hollister, michael kors outlet, north face, true religion jeans, nike roshe, north face, michael kors, nike air max, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, replica handbags, michael kors, converse pas cher, hermes, sac guess, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, coach purses, hogan, air force, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike free run uk, mulberry, michael kors outlet, tn pas cher, nike blazer, coach outlet, ugg boots, lacoste pas cher, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, burberry, burberry outlet online, coach outlet, timberland, ugg boots

ninest123 said...

mont blanc, hollister, north face outlet, lululemon, north face outlet, louboutin, ralph lauren, mcm handbags, reebok shoes, hollister, iphone cases, nike roshe, herve leger, converse, nike huarache, instyler, bottega veneta, longchamp, mac cosmetics, asics running shoes, soccer jerseys, converse outlet, nfl jerseys, ray ban, ghd, ferragamo shoes, beats by dre, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, gucci, oakley, giuseppe zanotti, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, nike air max, babyliss, baseball bats, new balance, birkin bag, p90x workout, nike trainers, soccer shoes, vans, chi flat iron, hollister, celine handbags, jimmy choo shoes, vans shoes, nike air max, timberland boots

ninest123 said...

canada goose, louis vuitton, moncler, ugg pas cher, moncler, bottes ugg, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, barbour jackets, moncler, doudoune canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora jewelry, moncler, hollister, links of london, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, replica watches, coach outlet, moncler, lancel, barbour, canada goose uk, swarovski crystal, karen millen, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, marc jacobs, canada goose, louis vuitton, supra shoes, ugg boots uk, canada goose, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, swarovski, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo, toms shoes