On My Honor....

The Girl Scout Promise



On my honor, I will try:


To serve God and my country,


To help people at all times,


And to live by the Girl Scout Law.



The Girl Scout Law



I will do my best to be: honest and fair,


friendly and helpful,


considerate and caring,


courageous and strong, and


responsible for what I say and do,

and to respect myself and others,


respect authority,


use resources wisely,


make the world a better place, and


be a sister to every Girl Scout.

Hailey has really enjoyed being involved with Girl Scouts and Karlie couldn't wait until she could join. Last year I dropped the ball and wasn't able to find a troop for her to join. She was so distraught that I promised her if I couldn't find her a troop next year, I would become a leader and start a troop for her and her friends. Sometimes I hate my big mouth. Kids never let you forget those promises. I learned as a child just how important those promises are and how devastating it can be when the promise is not kept. I have made a vow to do everything possible to keep my word with the kids.

Last fall I missed the parent meeting and when I called the troop leader the next day she said the troop was full! I offered to be the cookie mom, the co-leader, to pay her! She already had too many girls. Gulp. That meant I had to be the Leader, as I promised. I reluctantly took all the classes, filled out all the paper work and started a Daisy troop. On my honor alone I became a Girl Scout leader.

Some people are natural leaders. Some people are groupies. I have always tried to fit in both categories but just seem to march to the beat of my own drum and fall short. I knew I was going to have a hard time when I went to the leader meeting and the unit director held up three fingers to get everyone's attention. We are adults right?

I tried really hard to go all in because I really believe in the organization. It provides some great opportunities to girls that otherwise might not have had. One troop in our unit has saved their cookie money since they were brownies and are going to Europe for a week after high school graduation- completely on the money the troop has earned! Girl Scouts has strong values and instills a sense of service, which I fully support. However, some of it was just too corny. I thought the journey guide was lame and the girls could care less about the flower story I was to read to them each meeting. They want hands on crafts and activities not stories and deep thoughts. So I ditched the book and tried to find creative ways for the girls to earn their petals. There goes my drum again. They had to do an activity related to each of the parts of the Girl Scout Law to earn each petal. We managed to get through all of them. It really stretched me on my craftiness and organization! Here are a few of the activities we did over the year.

Making the world a better place and being responsible by planting flowers and a garden. The girls had to take turns keeping the garden alive until it bloomed and we then gave it to the art teacher who allowed us to use her room for our meetings
To be considerate and caring the girls decorated Meals on Wheels bags at Christmas time.
Cookies of course were the highlight for the girls.

Rock wall climbing.

Courageous and Strong!
Go Karlie!!! Most of the girls made it to the top and the one girl that was afraid of heights made it higher each time she tried.
Respect authority. We took a tour of the fire house and the girls learned fire safety and how important firemen are.
Respect??
I don't know if the girls or the moms had more fun. :)
Sweet Snacks.

Be a sister to every Girl Scout. We made Happy Birthday bracelets for another Girl Scout Troop.
Celebrating Girl Scouts' 99th year!
Use resources wisely. We made kites out of paper bags. Fortunately it was a windy day. The girls said this was the best craft they ever made. Paper bag, yarn, markers, plastic bags for the tail, and a whole punch. Who knew?!
The girls wanted to go to California Pizza Kitchen for a personal tour and make their own pizza and then to Build-A-Bear with their hard earned cookie money!



My little troop. While being a leader isn't my calling, I am hopeful I helped make some life long memories and instilled a few of the Girl Scout values in my Daisies.
But above all, I kept my word to Karlie and that is all that counts.

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Wish you were moving here istead....for many reasons...but one so you could be Ellie's leader. She would love girl scouts if you were in charge! You are so fun Katie!!

Courtney said...

You are a girl of your word, this I know to be true!! Way to go awesome Mom!

ninest123 said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, air max, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, burberry, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, chanel handbags, replica watches, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, louboutin pas cher, nike free, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, air jordan pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, nike roshe run, uggs on sale, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, sac longchamp, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors, louis vuitton

ninest123 said...

kate spade handbags, new balance pas cher, hollister, michael kors outlet, north face, true religion jeans, nike roshe, north face, michael kors, nike air max, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, replica handbags, michael kors, converse pas cher, hermes, sac guess, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, coach purses, hogan, air force, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike free run uk, mulberry, michael kors outlet, tn pas cher, nike blazer, coach outlet, ugg boots, lacoste pas cher, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, burberry, burberry outlet online, coach outlet, timberland, ugg boots

ninest123 said...

mont blanc, hollister, north face outlet, lululemon, north face outlet, louboutin, ralph lauren, mcm handbags, reebok shoes, hollister, iphone cases, nike roshe, herve leger, converse, nike huarache, instyler, bottega veneta, longchamp, mac cosmetics, asics running shoes, soccer jerseys, converse outlet, nfl jerseys, ray ban, ghd, ferragamo shoes, beats by dre, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, gucci, oakley, giuseppe zanotti, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, nike air max, babyliss, baseball bats, new balance, birkin bag, p90x workout, nike trainers, soccer shoes, vans, chi flat iron, hollister, celine handbags, jimmy choo shoes, vans shoes, nike air max, timberland boots

ninest123 said...

canada goose, louis vuitton, moncler, ugg pas cher, moncler, bottes ugg, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, barbour jackets, moncler, doudoune canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora jewelry, moncler, hollister, links of london, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, replica watches, coach outlet, moncler, lancel, barbour, canada goose uk, swarovski crystal, karen millen, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, marc jacobs, canada goose, louis vuitton, supra shoes, ugg boots uk, canada goose, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, swarovski, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo, toms shoes