Prickly Pear Cactus Margarita



I was in the produce section at our grocery store and saw Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit.  I had to get it.  Who has cactus fruit in their grocery store!?
 After learning how to handle it and get the juice out of it, I decided it would be excellent in a Margarita.
 To prepare, you cut off the ends and then slice it down the middle.  You then peel the thick skin off the fruit.  It is the most beautiful magenta color.  Very rich and thick juice.
 I then put the fruit in the blender and liquefied it.  To remove seeds and pulp, I strained it. One Prickly Pear yields about 1/4 cup of juice.
 I then added lime juice, tequila, and triple sec.  I cooled it in the freezer for a few hours.
 They were delicious!  Dangerously delicious.  You couldn't taste any alcohol.  Such a perfect drink as the sunset before our Mexican dinner.
 Totally Arizona Prickly Pear Cactus Margaritas.  
1/4 cup prickly pear juice
3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 cup tequila
1 cup triple sec
salt for rim of glass
handful of ice

Serves 4

1 comment:

Courtney said...

yummmmm! will try for sure!