Apples of My Eye

 Yesterday was Johnny Appleseed day.  Luckily for me the kids had the day off.  One of the best things about being a stay at home mom is getting to turn an ordinary day into a special one.  I decided we would have an apple of a day to celebrate and emulate his spirit of caring for nature and animals!
For breakfast it was oatmeal with fried apples.
 We then got ready and headed to the zoo.  Kids and the zoo are just a good combination, even if the zoo isn't that great and it's too hot.  They love to run wild and see the animals.  The kids got a special education about the Galapagos Turtles.  We had lunch with applesauce, but as the thermometer reached a 100 this hot mama had to high tail it out of there.
The kids got to watch The Lorax during out drive.  I love its conservation theme and it got the kids excited about planting.  We are getting our garden ready for the fall planting season and hope to plant this weekend.  In honor of Johnny Appleseed we planted pepper seeds in a mini green house.  Unfortunately apples wouldn't work here, so peppers it is.
For desert we had this most sinful Apple and Pear Crisp.  I can't say enough about it.  But I will say a certain person that I will not name ate 2 and the kids' leftovers.  Move over apple pie...  It was a fun day doting on the apples of my eye using the spirit of Johnny Appleseed to make a regular Wednesday an extra sweet day together.

No comments: