12/12/12

I couldn't let a date that only comes once every 100 years pass without celebrating it!  We did a dozen things to commemorate the day.
1. The kids started the morning with a 12 step mental obstacle course to find their advent calendar treat.
Today is 12/12.12.  It will take 12 steps to find your treat.  Better make sure your pencil is sharp.
 2.  They got 12 new pencils.
Better check the clock at 12:12.
 I took the picture when I made the hunt.  Elves work late. :)
Lets eat 12 Eggs today.
3.  We ate 12 eggs!  Of course Hank can't eat eggs so he ate Coco Puffs.
 4. Hank and I made 12 eggless sugar cookies.  Some of the best sugar cookies I have ever tasted.
We will need lots of these for 12 sugar cookies.
Maybe we should have a special dinner here. 
(Dinner wasn't that special.)
 5. They got 12 grapes and 12 gold fish in their lunch.
I think I will pack 12 grapes in your lunch.
 We are 1/2 of a dozen.  Maybe our stockings hold a clue.
 I think you will find 12 more in the laundry room.
 6. A 12 pack of Gatorade is a special treat.
 7.  A 12 pack of Tecate treat for the adults!
Mom and Dad like 12 red drinks too!
8.  We memorized Romans 12:12
Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don’t quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality. 
In our Bible we will learn Romans 12:12.
 12 months in a year should bring you some cheer!
 Under the tree you will find a gift that will last all year! xoxo
 9. A 12 month calendar.
 10.   For our 12th day of giving, we took 12 chocolate chip cookies to our fire house.  I thought we would just thank them and give them the cookies and go.  The fireman was delighted to see Hank and welcomed us in.  He gave us a full tour of the fire house.
 Anything Hank wanted, he let him do!  He showed the kids how to work the map, the horns, the hoses and the medical equipment.  I think they were all pretty pleased with how this gift worked out. :)
11.  We made 12 Christmas cards.
 12.  We made a wish at 12:12 and at dinner 12 prayers.
Each of us offered two specific prayers.
1.  For Pops.
2. That family can get together this summer.
3. Bubbus gets all better.
4.That we are able to be with our loved ones more.
5. The homeless find shelter.
6.  Sick children get well.
7. Hank's asthma goes away.
8.  Thankful for all of our family and friends.
9.  For kids that don't have moms and dads that take good care of them.
10.  For my teacher.
11.  That I get done with my puffer and grow bigger.
12.  For Mommy, Daddy, Kaitlin, Karlie, and Hailey.


At times our 12 days of giving took a lot of effort but after each service or gift of love we were always the ones gaining.  I asked the kids if this was too much.  They all said they were happy we did it.  Each of them took away something from a different gift.  Hopefully the spirit of giving will be written on their hearts.  Love is what knits us together.  I crave nothing more than for my family to put on love...

 So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.
Colossians 3:12-14


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, Katie, that you are a role model for all the rest of us. Your 12 day project was beautiful and made me cry. I talked to the kids and they want to do it next year. In the meantime, I'm searching for ways for them to give more to others. Love you all.
Grammy