Traditions

If you know me or have read the blog, then you likely know that traditions are important to me, that I am overly sentimental, and tend to have grand expectations.
One of our favorite Christmas time traditions when we lived in Colorado was going up to the mountains to cut down our Christmas tree.  Over the years as we became concerned about a live tree and purchased a fake tree, we continued to pick out a tree but used it to make a Christmas wreath instead.  I was very sad when we moved to Arizona and this tradition no longer seemed possible.
Ah, but where there is a will, there is a way!  I discovered the forest service here also has a tree cutting program.  While the permits are much harder to get than in Colorado, you can get them if you are determined.  This year I got one!
 Only an hour and a half away from us is a beautiful forest.  This is where we camped in September.  We were shocked to see so much snow.  We figured at best there would be little bits in the shady spots.  It was freezing and we were not dressed appropriately.  All the kids have outgrown their snow gear.
 Poor Hank's feet were freezing in his sneakers.  But the kids still managed to have a snowball fight and  play in the snow.
 As per tradition we brang up hot chocolate and treats. :)
 Listening to Christmas music on the drive up, walking through the forest with a blanket of snow to find our Charlie Brown tree, sharing hot coco and watching the kids exuberance in the snow…  It beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
The other thing you probably have learned about me is that I tend to pack in is a much to life as possible.  Saturday was no different.  Right after we got home, it was time for a quick change to get ready for Max's work Christmas party!
 Poor Max.  He is such a good sport for putting up with me.
Last night we were finally able to turn our tree into a lovely wreath.  Everyone pitched in to tie the branches and decorate it.  I am so happy that we were able to resurrect this tradition.
I am most thankful for my Christmas elf that tires his hardest to make all my dreams come true.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

You all are such an amazing family! XOXO