Day 8 The Gift of Life

Today Max and I donated blood.  Blood supplies run very low from Thanksgiving through January.  The blood banks main source of donations come from high school students.  With school breaks and people so busy, donations fall short.  The shelf life of blood is only 30-40 days.  We thought this would be a good thing to give during our 12 days of giving.

The last time Max and I donated blood together was 20 years ago when we were in high school.  It was on that day that I knew Max loved me dearly.  I was young and nervous.  I had over blown things in my mind (cause I never do that) on how much it would hurt and when it was all over I was very relived.  I walked over and met Max at the table to eat my cookies and drink my juice.  As we sat there I began to feel bad, but tried to push it away.  As the black circles started to block out my vision, I grabbed Max's arm and told him I was passing out.  Next thing I knew I was lying on a gym mat with my someone holding my legs in the air.  As the confusion faded I looked to my right and saw Max lying there next to me.  Apparently it is a common phenomenon that people will pass out after watching someone else pass out, especially after blood donation.  All I know is we got to skip the next period and hang out on the mat together.  Its pretty much history since then.  
Well, fast forward 20 years.  I have been reluctant to give blood with my past stellar performance.  However, Max has successfully and uneventfully donated in between.  Today I warned my phlebotomist of my past.  She assured me if I kept tightening my butt muscles all would be well.  Despite my deep breathing and buns of steel being clenched, the wave of warmth began to flush my face and the black spots were creeping in.  I notified her that I was going down.  They brought me two ice packs for the back of my neck and sternum.  Those worked fine for the remainder of the donation.  But my big problem comes after I am all done.  Max once again finished before I did and was eating and drinking and doing great.  Then he came over to me as they tried to slowly get me up.  Down the dark hole I started to go again!  So they quickly laid me back with my feet above my head.  But it was too late, I had passed it onto Max and he turned white.  The lady quickly got Max in a chair and applied ice to him as well.  What a pair of babies!  They had quite a good time laughing at the doctor and nurse husband and wife fainters.  I guess some things never change.  He still loves me dearly. :)

No comments: