My 40th Birthday

 I had a really nice 40th birthday.  Kaitlin made me a candy gram that said:
 Dear Mom, 
You are one Hot Lady.  But you can be a Nerd too.  Even though you can be Sour, you're still a Lifesaver.  You are a Star at being a mom.  You are Gold to me.  
Love, Kaitlin
After getting the kids off to school my friend Aimee and I hiked Camelback Mountain.  We had mimosas at the top!  Then 6 of my girlfriends and I went to the Camelback Inn Spa for a day of pampering.  I got my first ever facial!  We each got a facial and massage and ate lunch by the pool.
Max made my favorite Mexican dinner and then had a treasure hunt of gifts set up for me.  Along the way I got new bike shoes, shirt, shorts, helmet and a new mountain bike.  I have been using the same mountain bike that I bought as a sophomore in college.  To say I needed a new one was an understatement!  Max also gave me Nike.  I adored her when we went to the Louvre in Paris.  Max said I am his Nike.
Winged Victory of Samothrace
Nike.  The Greek goddess of victory.
Created about the 2nd century BC.
Since 1884, it has been displayed at the Louvre.
It is one of the most celebrated sculptures in the world.
It was created not only to honor the goddess, Nike, but also to honor a sea battle.  It conveys a sense of action and triumph as well as portraying artful flowing drapery, as though the goddess were descending to alight upon the prow of a ship.
Despite is significant damage and incompleteness, the Victory is held to be one of the great surviving masterpieces of sculpture from the Hellenistic Period, and from the entire Greco-Roman era.
It is considered one of the Louvre's greatest treasures, and since the late 19th century it has been displayed in the most dramatic fashion, at the head of the sweeping Daru staircase.
The loss of the head, while regrettable, is held by many to enhance the statue's depictions of the supernatural.

No comments: