Gearing Up!

The time had finally come for our Grand Canyon adventure!  Pops was our kind shuttle from the North Rim to the South Rim.   It was a 7 hour drive up to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from our house and then would be a 4 hour drive around to the South Rim.  Without him we would not have been able to do it.  In addition, without Nana watching the kids, we would not have been able to consider it.  We are so grateful for their support of our wild adventures!
We stopped and had lunch at Beaver Street Brewery in Flagstaff.
Then we made a pit stop at Marble Canyon and walked across the Navajo Bridge.  It was like a mini Grand Canyon.  We were starting to get excited and nervous.
We tried to estimate how long it would take us so Pops could see Horseshoe Bend and then meet us in time.  We could only gauge our speed based on our prior hikes, however none had been as long or as difficult as what we were about to undertake.
We stayed in some basic cabins at Kaibab Lodge which is 20 minutes from the North Rim trail head.
We had reservations to dine at the beautiful Grand Canyon Lodge.  We enjoyed cocktails while watching the sunset on the Canyon.  I was having doubts that we were really going to make it to the other side in one day.  Do you see how far away that looks?!
I was the Nervous Nelly in the group and stuck to one cocktail.  However, my company was ready to roll!  We had a delicious dinner at the lodge with much laughter and fun.
As I drove us back to the our cabins everyone was feeling invincible and they all tried to convince me to push back our start time.  I would have none of it!  We were getting on the trail at 4:30 am.  I did not want to be caught climbing up in 100 plus degrees.  After much badgering they finally realized I was leaving at 4:00 am and they could come or sleep in.  :)
I have been told I am stubborn...

No comments: