Hanging Up My Coaching Shoes

Every Monday I would take Kaitlin and three of her friends to volleyball practice.  Hank was the official mascot of the team and even played one season with us.  :)  We usually would make a stop at McDonald's for fries and frosties.  Sometimes they would get to raid the gas station for any single junk food they wanted.  Nothing like fueling my athletes.  On our final day I treated them to the coveted Starbucks Frappuccino.
 Of our three seasons this year my biggest team had 10 girls and 2 boys.  It was fun to watch the kids develop, especially the one's that I have had for both years.  They went from not being able to serve the ball over the net at the 10 foot line to some doing overhand serves from the back line.  When we started the ball would hit the floor right at their feet and now they were passing to each other and working as a team.  Many of them were ready to move to a more competitive level.  They all wanted me to continue however I feel like my teaching ability had reached its limit.  Volleyball is different from when I played over 20 years ago.  While I can teach the fundamentals there are new positions and rotations that I don't feel qualified to coach. 
I feel very blessed to have been able to coach both Karlie and Kaitlin and hopefully launch a handful of other girls into the sport.  One sweet girl on the team called me Coach Mom and at our end of the year party she told me I was the best and nicest coach she has ever had.  On that note it is time to hang up my coaching shoes.

No comments: