Will My Feet Ever Forgive Me?

With only a week until the big Rim 2 Rim hike we set out to do our longest and last hike.  First Water is a nearly 16 mile hike that would challenge us in a similar way as the Grand Canyon because you hike up, then descend to the lake and turn around and have to hike up again.
 My buddy Aimee was struggling with a bad cough and wanted to rest up to be sure she could make the Grand Canyon.  So me and the boys set out at sunrise.
 It was a pretty hike, but the best part was reaching the lake and taking our shoes off.  Max packed a beer for each of us.  I don't think a beer has ever tasted so good, especially at 9 in the morning.  We decided then and there we had to bring one for the bottom of the canyon!  Easy carbohydrates and mild analgesic.  Perfect!
We completed the hike in 6 hours, so we were felling pretty confident we could do Rim 2 Rim in under 12 hours.  But boy were my feet tired.  I was a little freaked out about the thought of needing to go 9 more miles and with a much greater elevation climb.
The expression be careful what you ask for came to play for me that day.  Earlier in the week the girls and I were talking about how Hailey would get to go to prom next year.  I was telling her how she had to savor it because there are not many chances in your life you get to all dressed up in an evening gown and go out with a boy in a tux.  I told her how when I was her age I imagined I would have many opportunities to get dressed up fancy.  However, in reality I had only gotten really dressed up for my wedding and one other wedding.  I wistfully said how I wished we had fancy dinners, galas or events to go to.
Two days later one of my friends invited us to the Hon Kachina volunteer awards gala with black tie attire.  I couldn't believe it.  I have not been to a single gala and here just after telling the girls that Dad has only been in a tux for our two proms, our wedding, and one other wedding, we get invited to one.  The only catch was it was the night after we had already planned to do the big First Water hike.  I wasn't going to let either opportunity pass.
 I tried a 5 hour energy for the first time, gave my feet a good rubbing and jammed into some high heels!  Fancy gala here I come!
It was a wonderful evening and it was inspiring to hear about the passion of the volunteers.  Hon Kachina has been awarding outstanding volunteers for 40 years. Their stories brought me to tears more than once.  I can't think of a better reason to get all dressed up than to honor people that devote countless hours to helping others.
An older gentleman came up to me and asked me if I was related to Inger Stevens.  I had never heard of her but he claimed I was a dead ringer and was sure I could have been her daughter.  When I got home I looked her up and learned she died before I was born.
What do you think?  I am not sure I can say I look like a movie star but I certainly felt like one for a night.
 What a day!  I felt so blessed to be beside my handsome date that seems to find a way to make all my dreams come true.  Now if only he wanted to rub my feet...


No comments: